unable to start SQL Service ... error code 3417
Tom R
2009-08-06 22:32:09 UTC
I recently had an issue with being able to log into my Windows XPS Vista
Ultimate notebook. I contacted Dell Support who helped me rectify the
problem. The technician then asked if he could log into my pc to fix this
problem ... I allowed him to do this via Dell Remote Assistant (uninstalled
software after service call). When he logged in, He deleted files in an area
that looked like they might be somewhere in the Windows directory. It could
be just a coincidence, but now I am unable to get my MSSQLSERVER service
started. I think it is possibly a coincidence because as I research the
error message below, I see this has happened to others, where the service
suddenly would not start. I have done a system retore fyi. Regardless, I
desperately need a solution to this problem ... the error message I receive
when I attempt to start the service is

Windows could not start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) on local Computer. For
more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft
service, contact the sservice vendor, and refer to service-specific error
code 3417.

Any assistance and/or advice would be much appreciated.
TR
Sylvain Lafontaine
2009-08-07 01:48:23 UTC
I like it when a technician makes changes to your system without telling you
what he's doing. In your case, the first thing to do would probably be to
make a backup of the MDF and LDF files for the databases.

The sql service won't start if either the Sql-Server folder or the data file
folders is compressed. If you have (or the technician have) done so then
uncompress them. For other possible solutions, see
http://decoding.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/sql-server-2005-expess-how-to-fix-error-3417/ .

If nothing work, you might have to remove/reinstall SQL-Server.
--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform
TR
Tom R
2009-08-07 03:05:01 UTC
I am not sure I follow when you say compressed. Do you mean zipped? If not,
how do I determine if they are compressed? I have not compressed any sql
folders ... that I know of.
--
TR
TR
Tibor Karaszi
2009-08-07 03:37:58 UTC
File system compressed. Check in Windows explorer (can be configured
to show compressed files in blue). Here's the error text for 3417:

"SQL Server cannot start the master database. If the master or tempdb
cannot be brought online, SQL Server cannot run. This error is usually
preceded by other errors. Review error logs to find the root cause."

I suggest you check the SQL Server errorlog file and from that try to
determine what is the root cause.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
Post by Sylvain Lafontaine
I like it when a technician makes changes to your system without telling you
what he's doing. In your case, the first thing to do would
probably be to
make a backup of the MDF and LDF files for the databases.
The sql service won't start if either the Sql-Server folder or the data file
folders is compressed. If you have (or the technician have) done so then
uncompress them. For other possible solutions, see
http://decoding.wordpress.com/2008/08/25/sql-server-2005-expess-how-to-fix-error-3417/ .
If nothing work, you might have to remove/reinstall SQL-Server.
--
Sylvain Lafontaine, ing.
MVP - Windows Live Platform
Email: sylvain2009 sylvainlafontaine com (fill the blanks, no spam please)
Independent consultant and remote programming for Access and
SQL-Server
(French)
TR
Tom R
2009-08-07 14:20:01 UTC
re: compression, I assume you mean "Show encrypted or compressed NTFS files
in color" ... which is checked ... and the files in the Data folder are not
in color, so guess that means compression is not the issue. Here is what I
find in the MSSQL.1/MSSQL/LOG folder ... please offer advise/translate ...

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.4035.00 (Intel X86)
Nov 24 2008 13:01:59
Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition on Windows NT 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

(c) 2005 Microsoft Corporation.
All rights reserved.
Server process ID is 6108.
Authentication mode is WINDOWS-ONLY.
Logging SQL Server messages in file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'.
This instance of SQL Server last reported using a process ID of 2980 at
8/6/2009 8:34:12 PM (local) 8/7/2009 12:34:12 AM (UTC). This is an
informational message only; no user action is required.
Registry startup parameters:
-d C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\master.mdf
-e C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG
-l C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\mastlog.ldf
SQL Server is starting at normal priority base (=7). This is an
informational message only. No user action is required.
Detected 2 CPUs. This is an informational message; no user action is required.
Using dynamic lock allocation. Initial allocation of 2500 Lock blocks and
5000 Lock Owner blocks per node. This is an informational message only. No
user action is required.
Attempting to initialize Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS
DTC). This is an informational message only. No user action is required.
The Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator (MS DTC) service could not
be contacted. If you would like distributed transaction functionality,
please start this service.
Database mirroring has been enabled on this instance of SQL Server.
Starting up database 'master'.
Error: 9003, Severity: 20, State: 1.
The log scan number (349:448:1) passed to log scan in database 'master' is
not valid. This error may indicate data corruption or that the log file
(.ldf) does not match the data file (.mdf). If this error occurred during
replication, re-create the publication. Otherwise, restore from backup if the
problem results in a failure during startup.
Cannot recover the master database. SQL Server is unable to run. Restore
master from a full backup, repair it, or rebuild it. For more information
about how to rebuild the master database, see SQL Server Books Online.
--
TR
TR
Tom R
2009-08-07 14:41:02 UTC
If the Master database is corrupt, how would you advise I maybe replace with
another Master? ... I do have another Master as I have another instance of
SQL running for the Outlook Business Conact Manager ... suppose I can back
this up and then restore? ... will try.
--
TR
TR
Tibor Karaszi
2009-08-08 07:55:31 UTC
Yes, judging from that error message, your master isn't healthy. I would first do root cause
analysis, trying to determine what caused this in the first place.

I wouldn't go with restoring master from another instance. You have to be careful with collations,
and whatnot (I haven't done that myself, so I can't comment on whatever things need to be taken care
of).

The supported route is to rebuild your master database, start SQL Server in single user mode,
restore a backup from this master database, and then restore msdn and if needed model (since you did
a rebuild). Search and you will find plenty of instructions on this. If you don't have a backup of
your master (etc) then you are in for more work after the rebuild (re-creating whatever got lost
from the rebuild).
TR
Tom R
TR
Tibor Karaszi
TR
e***@gmail.com
2014-06-26 08:54:58 UTC
I hope this post will help you more so please visit:- http://www.sqlrecoverysoftware.net/blog/sql-error-3417.html
s***@gmail.com
2014-07-21 09:42:44 UTC
This usually occurs when the master.mdf or the mastlog.ldf gets corrupt . In order to solve the issue goto the following path `C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL` , there you will find a folder " Template Data " , copy the master.mdf and mastlog.ldf and replace it in `C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Data folder` . Thats it . Now start the MS SQL service and you are done
h***@gmail.com
2014-09-12 11:32:43 UTC
it worked
thank you very much
g***@gmail.com
2015-07-13 11:14:14 UTC
Yeah....its works....Only need to attach the mdf file again....Thanks
s***@gmail.com
2016-04-01 18:27:33 UTC
superb
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-13 05:43:37 UTC
in my case , MSSQLSERVICE stopped after I compressed all folders where SQL is installed, I uncompressed the entire folder of SQL Server.
j***@gmail.com
2017-06-13 05:49:27 UTC
in my case , MSSQLSERVICE stopped after I compressed all folders where SQL is installed, I uncompressed the entire folder of SQL Server. It can also be fixed by using SQL Recovery tool, download demo for free from here: http://www.sqlrecoverytool.com/