import excel data fail in sql 2005
med
2007-10-17 15:57:01 UTC
Hello,

When I use the sql server 2005 import and export wizard to import an excel
file, I always get "Could not find installable ISAM.(microsoft JET database
engine)" error.

my operating system is xp with sp2, sql server 2005, office 2003 and office
2007.
all of them have latest update (through microsoft update).

the excel file type is 97-2003 work sheet.

Within the System32 folder, there are MSJET40.dll (4.0.8618.0) and
MSEXCL40.dll (4.0.8618.0)
but I can not find the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Jet\4.0\engines\excel even after I
reinstall the xp sp2. there is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\Jet\4.0\IIAM Formats\Excel 8.0

Currently, both sql 2005 and access 2003 can not import the data from excel
(97-2003 worksheet), but the access 2007 works well.

So I have to import the excel file into access 2007 first and then import it
into sql 2005.

Please tell me what can I do to fix this issue, your help are really
appreciated.
John Bell
2007-10-18 08:44:03 UTC
Hi

I assume that you have seen
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283881/

If you convert the file to excel 2007 can you import it? For a connection
string you would need Extended Properties=Excel 8.0 and I assume this is
expecting Excel 12.0 but I guess that is not going to help your current issue!

John
appreciated.
med
2007-11-12 21:51:10 UTC
Thanks for your reply,
It does not work after I convert the excel file to 2007 such as 1.xlsx

The sql server 2005's import wizard can only support up to Excel 97-2005 so
that I get "File path contains invalid Excel file,Please provide file with
.xls extension" error.

I did read the article, but I can not even find the
MICROSOFT\Jet\4.0\engines\excel key in the registor.

My access 2007 does work well when import the excel file, but access 2003
and sql server 2005 does not work???

any thoughts?
appreciated.
John Bell
2007-11-13 07:45:01 UTC
Hi

Have you tried creating an ODBC DSN and see if that works?

Searching for "Could not find installable ISAM" on microsoft.com
http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?q=Could+not+find+installable+ISAM&qsc0=0&FORM=QBME1&l=1&mkt=en-GB

turns up a large number of hits such as http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318161

John
appreciated.
med
2007-11-13 16:20:01 UTC
Thanks John,

I had done a lot this kind of search, but can not find anything helpful.

Can you reproduce my error, just install the office2003, office2007,and sql
server 2005 on XP with sp2 to see if you can get this error?

I can create link servers to access databases by using either "Jet 4.0" or
"office 12.0 access database engine ole db provider", but no one work for
Excel.

Please test it and no more assumptions.
appreciated.
John Bell
2007-11-13 18:38:01 UTC
Hi

Unfortunately I don't have the facilities to do that. In general a
production environment would not have office installed. If you are not able
to create your own test environment then you may want to raise a PSS incident.

John
appreciated.
m***@monitor.wc.lt
2017-04-23 14:25:41 UTC